Sunday, March 8, 2009

Wedding Cake


Congrats Sam & Maggie on your wedding and thank you for letting me be a part of it! I got a call a little over a week ago from Sam asking me if I wanted to make the cake they would be cutting at their reception. They had sheet cakes for their guests, so the cake I made could be small (which was good because otherwise I would have been totally overwhelmed). I had made a cake for Sam's mom's b-day a few months back (the fun crown cake), so I was totally stoked when they asked me to do another cake. 


The wedding colors were navy and ivory, and the bride & groom wanted red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. I got the recipe for both from the Martha Stewart website (thanks Martha)! I originally planned to make roses out of modeling chocolate. They were going ok... but I was having trouble making them delicate enough for the scale of the cake (it didn't help that I had never used modeling chocolate before). So, I change directions and made the roses out of fondant (thank you wilton fondant and gumpaste class). I was really happy with how the flowers came out. I had some trouble with the fondant on the cake as a whole since the cream cheese icing was so soft. I definitely learned many lessons with this one!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

So beautiful...They must have been floored by how great this cake was!