Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy B-day Dan!

My husband turned 31 on the St. Patrick's Eve. Since he and a girl in our church's youth group both celebrated birthdays over the same week, I thought it would be fun to bring a cake to youth group. I wanted to go with a birthday present cake, so I baked up a 10" round chocolate cake, a 6"x6" square vanilla and strawberry cake, and a 5" round vanilla and chocolate cake. The vanilla cake was a last minute addition, but after the majority of the strawberry cake fell apart coming out of the pans I had to make a late substitution. I will be trying the strawberry cake again with modifications made for our altitude. Also, don't worry about all of that strawberry cake going to waste... they were reborn as cake bites (which will be shown in another post). 


I covered each of the layers in marshmallow fondant (I made a triple batch for this and the leprechaun hat cake). I made the bow a couple days in advance so that it would have time to dry on the wires. Then I stacked the layers and decorated with more fondant. I was happy with the result, and it was a hit with the 25 jr./sr. high students at our church! Happy Birthday Dan & Mallory!

No comments: